instantiationPhysical is used to identify the format of a particular instantiation as it exists in a physical form that occupies physical space (e.g., a tape on a shelf). This includes physical digital media, such as a DV tape, audio CD or authored DVD, as well as analog media.
Best Practice: PBCore provides a controlled vocabulary for media objects, though any controlled vocabulary can be used as long as it is referenced. For digital storage carriers that contain portable file-based media, such as data CDs, LTO tapes or hard drives, use instantiationDigital to convey the mime type of the file instead of describing the carrier.
Usage: optional, not repeatable
- source: optional | The source attribute provides the name of the authority used to declare the value of the element. Required attribute for pbcoreIdentifier and instantiationIdentifier elements. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
- ref: optional | The ref attribute is used to supply a source’s URI for the value of the element. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
- version: optional | The version attribute identifies any version information about the authority or convention used to express data of this element. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
- annotation: optional | The annotation attribute includes narrative information intended to clarify the nature of data used in the element. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
This element does not have any subelements.
- PBCore's instantiationPhysical (Video)
- PBCore's instantiationPhysical (Film)
- PBCore's instantiationPhysical (Audio)
<instantiationPhysical>Betacam Digital (Digi Beta)</instantiationPhysical>
<instantiationPhysical>6.3 mm (1/4 inch) track half width analogue audio tape, Stereo</instantiationPhysical>