essenceTrackEncoding identifies how the actual information in an instantiation is compressed, interpreted, or formulated using a particular scheme. Identifying the encoding used is beneficial for a number of reasons, including as a way to achieve reversible compression; for the construction of document indices to facilitate searching and access; or for efficient distribution of the information across data networks with differing bandwidths or pipeline capacities. Human-readable encoding value should be placed here. Use @ref to identify the codec ID.
Best Practice: Use @source to describe the type of encoding reference used, such as fourcc. In @ref, use a URI/URL from the source to identify the codec utilized by its container format.
Usage: optional, not repeatable
- source: optional | The source attribute provides the name of the authority used to declare the value of the element. Required attribute for pbcoreIdentifier and instantiationIdentifier elements. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
- ref: optional | The ref attribute is used to supply a source’s URI for the value of the element. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
- version: optional | The version attribute identifies any version information about the authority or convention used to express data of this element. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
- annotation: optional | The annotation attribute includes narrative information intended to clarify the nature of data used in the element. Can be used as an attribute of any element.
This element does not have any subelements.
- EBU Video Compression Code
- Wikipedia List of Codecs
- IPTC NewsCodes video codec
- IPTC NewsCodes audio codec
<essenceTrackEncoding source="PBCore essenceTrackEncoding" ref="http://metadataregistry.org/concept/show/id/2889">
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC: QuickTime H.264