pbcoreRightsSummary is a container for sub-elements ‘rightsSummary’, ‘rightsLink’ and ‘rightsEmbedded’ used to describe Rights for the asset.
Best practice: The pbcoreRightsSummary container can be repeated to express multiple rights statements. However, all rights information contained within a pbcoreRightsSummary container should apply to the entire asset. Rights that relate to a specific instantiation of an asset, such as those conferred along with an item in a donation agreement, can be documented in the instantiationRights element.
Usage: optional, repeatable.
- startTime – optional. Attribute startTime combines with the endTime attribute to define a specific media segment within a broader timeline of an asset and/or instantiation.
- endTime – optional. Attribute endTime combines with a similar value in the startTime attribute to define a specific media segment within a broader timeline of an asset and/or instantiation.
- timeAnnotation – optional. Attribute timeAnnotation includes narrative information intended to clarify information about the value of the startTime and endTime attributes.
instantiationRights contains the following subelements:
- rightsSummary – optional. Use the element rightsSummary as a general free-text element to identify information about copyrights and property rights held in and over an asset or instantiation, whether they are open access or restricted in some way. If dates, times and availability periods are associated with a right, include them. End user permissions, constraints and obligations may also be identified as needed.
- rightsLink – optional. A URI pointing to a declaration of rights.
- rightsEmbedded – optional. The rightsEmbedded element allows the inclusion of xml from another rights standard, e.g. ODRL, METS, etc. The included XML then defines the rights for the PBCore asset and/or PBCore instantiation.
<!-- No data here directly; it's within sub-elements instead -->
<rightsSummary source="Creative Commons" ref="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0" version="3.0">CC BY 3.0</rightsSummary>
Submit any issues or suggested changes for future schema iterations by creating a ticket in our Github repository.